With a panel packed with experts (Tobias Bischof-Niemz CSIR Energy Expert, Barry Macoll-Head of Research, Testing and Development at ESKOM, Cedric Philiber-Energy and Climate Analyst of the International Energy Agency, and Wido Schnabel spokesperson for SAPVIA and chairperson of Canadian Solar) the discussion took a look at these main questions around Energy Storage in Africa:
- What will drive the future battery market?
- Is energy storage a necessary condition for large uptake of VRE in South Africa?
- Will solar PV and Batteries be the only components of the future power systems?
- What impact would a steep cost reduction of utility scale batteries have on the energy mix?
- What are the major barriers to the uptake of battery storage for various applications?